Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Stripped

I've really been struggling with writing about this topic because it's still something I struggle with almost every day. But it's been really heavy on my heart so maybe I'm supposed to share it for a reason.

Did you know that Northern New York is different from upstate New York? I didn't either. It's actually the region above the Catskills (all the way by Canada) and is ever so affectionately called the "North Country." The North Country is now my home. The city town I live in is called Watertown and it's about 30 minutes from the Canadian border. It's very different from San Antonio. That's where I grew up. 

Watertown doesn't have very many stores (a few and thank Jesus its growing!). It definitely doesn't have a Forever 21 or a Nordstrom. Gasp! And you're right if you guessed that having access to the very latest in fashion isn't an easy thing (unless you count Target and Charlotte Rousse... which aren't horrible options, but lets be real). 

Now insert me. The labels lady. The girl who turned her nose up at clothes from last season. Don't even mention 2-3 seasons ago. And what's that you say? The nearest Forever 21 is an hour away and the nearest Nordstrom is 5 hours away? *faints*

Oh the task of making yourself feel beautiful when you are stripped of the labels you love, and cut off from the convenience of a big city with world class shopping.... How does a girl achieve such a thing you ask? It's not easy let me tell you, and it has absolutely nothing to do with clothes.

Being filled with Jesus is the best beauty we can wear

It's funny how sometimes when the Lord wants to teach us something, He strips things in our lives away. I'll tell you girls, He sure is doing that with me. I mean, here I am in this beautiful place with none of the fashion amenities I'm used to and a closet that's looking less and less like it fell out of the pages of a magazine. And I'm supposed to figure out how to continually look at myself in the mirror (in clothes from 3 years ago) and see beauty. Let me be honest with you and say that I don't always see it. My husband does (God bless him) but if we're being honest, I have to say that I don't. And it's not like I have all these other ways to cover it up or things to focus on instead. I've reached a point where all those things, whatever they may be, are gone too. I'm stripped and the only place I have to turn is to Jesus. 

I know, I know, you're wondering what He has to do with everything. I felt the same way at first too. And it's so crazy because literally Jesus in my life is the only thing that makes me truly feel pretty. 

As discussed last week, His death on the cross to save us is a really awesome start. But it's just a start and it's so fabulous it makes me want to jump around my living room! Because He says He knows we are going to mess up every day so not to worry, because His mercies are new every morning (Lamentations 3:22-23). And He says that our beauty doesn't come from anything on the outside, not crazy fab hair, or amazing clothes but from the inside (1 Peter 3:3-4).  Even more encouraging, is that He says we are fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14). I could literally go on until tomorrow with Bible verses because the Bible is such a love letter. There are so many! But the sweetest part, the part that gets me through a rough day, is His whisper in my ear that He loves me. Like, the inconvenient, life sacrificing, overwhelming, all consuming, slap you in face, make you feel great kind of love. And somehow I just know that if He loves me, there's no way I'm not beautiful.

I hope with all of my heart that each one of you fabulous readers finds that love. It is truly life changing.

xo 

Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment